Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

Re: [OT] Broadband Router for a Mac

Don,

The devil is in the word "_now_", and how you read it.

It says "The iMac G5 _now_ lets you..."

Interpretation one: The G5 is a new model that, unlike previous models,
lets you.

Interpretation two: The G5 didn't always do this, but now it does.

Rob,

As far as I'm aware, the Macs use a standard 802.11, and nothing too
funny. Of course, being Macs, they like to sell you Apple-branded
accessories, and if you go the Apple-branded route you will, of course,
get the "it just works" experience.

However, provided you have a Windows PC around to configure the Access
Point / Wireless Router, you should be fine, but you will almost
certainly need to configure the router FIRST, the persuade the Mac to
use it. I mostly use Linux here these days, but keep a Windows box
around for a few tasks, one of which is initial configuration of Netgear
kit, which starts with a Windows program :-(

Certainly, I know enough people with mixed Windows / Linux / Mac network
who are using off-the-shelf wireless kit for the Mac to talk to.

M.

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 10:04 +0100, MacNewbie wrote:
>  From Apple web site
>=20
> Built-in Wireless
> The iMac G5 now lets you jump right in to the wireless world by=20=20
> including both 802.11g AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR=20=20
> technologies =E2=80=94 built in. Just configure the iMac G5 for your
wire=
less=20=20
> network and add the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.=20=20
> You'll be working, surfing and playing with no cable clutter.
>=20
> Looks like you're good to go!
>=20
> Don
>=20
>=20
> On 25 Jul 2005, at 09:52, Rob Mouser wrote:
>=20
> > Sorry, can I ask one more question on this? I'm going to see
this=20=20
> > guy in a
> > week but he's a good hour away. I'm trying to sort out all the
kit=20=20
> > he needs
> > for 2 PC's and 1 MAC to his new broadband connection.
> > Its all going to be wireless to a Vigor wireless router. The
two=20=20
> > PC's (His
> > kids are easy) but I cant fathom if his iMAC G5 already has
wi-fi=20=20
> > built in.
> > Apparently they now come with wireless as standard but he
bought=20=20
> > one when it
> > first came out. I cant seem to find any info on "what"
wireless=20=20
> > adaptor I
> > can use with this beast?
> > .../me is very confused. I don't want to drive all the way
there=20=20
> > and find
> > I've got the wrong thing. It is possible he already has
wireless=20=20
> > but this
> > guy knows nothing and I'm mean nothing about his MAC! He bought
it=20=20
> > because
> > it looked pretty!
> >
> > Many thanks,