Latest message you have seen: RE: Seeking longer IDE cable

Re: Re: LAN over the mains

Theory has it that they do not interfere with any of the typical power
line technologies.......X10, CE and LON are supposed to be ok.

>From my knowledge X10 is baseband while the HomePlug is rather like
DSL over mains wiring and well up above any part of the spectrum used
by the more established technologies.

I have not actually tried any of these myself so can not comment from
personal experience.

It looks like these may be an implementation of the HomePlug V2 spec.
I have not followed activity in that area for some 18 months and do
not know what it actually offers. I thought the objective was to make
it suitable for transport of multiple streams of realtime content by
including QoS etc. At one time is was referred to  as HomePlugAV -
aimed at distribution of AV content around a dwelling. Not sure if
these mechanisms are still included though. I think the idea was that
a home would be equipped with a media gateway streaming content across
the powerline to display devices which simply have a connection to the
power source - HomePlug equipped receiver built in. There was a piece
in PCW for September 2005 about it and how a BBC researcher thinks it
may interfere with aircraft comms in high density usage areas. (not
much other information in the article except a comment from
Panasonic's researcher....)

Regards,

David