RE: [OT] : wiring sockets ??

  • Subject: RE: [OT] : wiring sockets ??
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:24:19 +0100

Marcus,

Firstly, I'm not a qualified electrician etc.

When I recently re-wired some sockets (before Part P too - what a
coincidence ;-)  ) I separated out a double socket into two singles and
a fused spur. I put one ring cable into the first socket, then used
another piece of 2.5mm T&E to loop from the back of the first socket
into the spur, then another 2.5mm T&E loop from the spur to the next
socket where I also connected the "other" half of the ring. Does
that
make sense? Essentially I just continued the ring through my 3 devices,
where I used to have a single (but 2-gang) socket.

I know the type of sockets you mean, but haven't seen any in detail. I
used 30A chock bloc connectors and they only just fitted into a 47mm
single gang box :-(
AFAIK you can use 1.5mm T&E, BUT you have to derate the cable and
protect with the appropriate fuse, however, I don't proclaim to know the
regs inside out so there may be something that prohibits you any way.

I can send you a sketch off-list of how I wired mine if interested - a
picture's worth a thousand words and all that, just let me know :-)

Cheers,

Tim.

block)
> to each socket also made it very difficult to get everything
> onto the wall due to the wires stiffness and bulk etc. Would
> it be safe to use some 1.5 T&E round flex from the chocolate
> block to the socket instead of the 2.5 T&E ?
>
> Oh, and before someone quotes "part P"... its all done with
> the "old" wiring scheme so... "its been like that for
years, honest"