RE: REVIEW: Controlling Sky/Sky+ from the Internet

  • Subject: RE: REVIEW: Controlling Sky/Sky+ from the Internet
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:37:19 +0100

I use Sky+ for main watching/recording and a second Sky box for good
quality and large number of radio programmes.

> Having said that, my Sky box lives in my rack and has the IR
positioned
> in front of it. It hasn't missed a recording or channel change in over
> year (that's probably over a thousand recordings).
> It also sends the 'backup' and 'Sky' button codes every 5 seconds to
get
> rid of the DOGs and to ensure the box is powered on after a sky
update.

If you send these buttons every 5 seconds, doesn't that get a tad annoying
when trying to navigate the menus ;) Or do you just use it for simple video
out and no interactive viewing etc?

> As for changing channels from the internet - why would you want to do
> that <grin>? With Myth I can go into the web interface from the
internet
> and play with the program guide, reschedule recordings etc etc. The
> backend box changes channels whenever it likes :)

I use Sky+. I presume Myth is a similar product to Tivo (software
functionality anyway)? If so, it got to be inferior to Sky+ in that you
can't record two channels at once or watch one whilst recording another
(happens here all the time) without multiple boxes/subscriptions (unless
just using FTA channels)? That's why I want to use this kind of product -
as far as I know there's still no alternative for controlling Sky+ and it's
great recording/planner capabilities.

Paul.