Re: REVIEW: Controlling Sky/Sky+ from the Internet

Paul Gale wrote:

>I use Sky+ for main watching/recording and a second Sky box for good
quality and large number of radio programmes.

>>Having said that, my Sky box lives in my rack and has the IR
positioned
>>in front of it. It hasn't missed a recording or channel change in
over a
>>year (that's probably over a thousand recordings).
>>It also sends the 'backup' and 'Sky' button codes every 5 seconds
to get
>>rid of the DOGs and to ensure the box is powered on after a sky
update.

>If you send these buttons every 5 seconds, doesn't that get a tad
annoying when trying to navigate the menus ;) Or do you just use it for
simple video out and no interactive viewing etc?

We don't use any of Sky's interactive features - I did think about only
doing this whilst it was actually recording for that reason - maybe if I
ever try the interactive bits...
The main thing is that I have huge amounts of storage (1.2Tb) so I don't
ever watch liveTV - we're watching 24 at the moment when was that on?? -
it's nice watching a whole series over the course of a week or two.
We're recording a few other series too right now. It's funny when we
realise that we're watching something we recorded in 2004!!

>>As for changing channels from the internet - why would you want to
do
>>that <grin>? With Myth I can go into the web interface from
the internet
>>and play with the program guide, reschedule recordings etc etc. The
>>backend box changes channels whenever it likes :)
>>

>I use Sky+. I presume Myth is a similar product to Tivo (software
functionality anyway)?

Yep - it's an open source PVR. So it allows me (and others) to modify
the functionality/looks etc etc to our taste. It also has much more
flexibility - of course that adds some complexity which puts people off.
However things like KnoppMyth are making huge inroads into reducing the
complexity - in fact people are starting to sell KnoppMyth based boxes
in the US.

> If so, it got to be inferior to Sky+ in that you can't record two
channels at once

Inferior?? Well, you say tomato, I say tomato ;)

> or watch one whilst recording another (happens here all the time)
without multiple boxes/subscriptions (unless just using FTA channels)?

As you say, you can record as many channels at once as you like;
Broadcast terrestrial; Freeview; cable; Sky. All you need are sources.
Of course when you buy Sky+ you essentially pay for a subscription for a
second LNB so fair play. You can also get the simple 'second room
subscription' can't you? I've not looked. Myth's scheduling is so good
that it just looks 2 weeks ahead to see what's showing over the next 2
weeks and shuffles everything around --- you can just use a web
interface onto your sky+ box and just see all the upcoming episodes or
channel guide for a week on monday or search for all programs that
mention "jazz" can't you ;)

Oh, and to save disk space I recorded all the Stargate and Enterprise
episodes and a few enjoyable films at super high quality and saved them
to DVD (just like we used to do VHS tapes but I made my own menus) - can
Sky+ do that? Or are they terrified of piracy and restricting your 'fair
use' rights under the guise of DRM?

It's similar to the hi-fi seperates versus integrated units. Seperates
aren't for everyone but offer the potential for higher quality/flexibility.

>That's why I want to use this kind of product - as far as I know
there's still no alternative for controlling Sky+ and it's great
recording/planner capabilities.

Myth's scheduling and control is far more sophisticated than Sky+ - but
of course Sky do their best to tie you into using their box (and I
suspect they're more scared of/anti Sony than Myth BTW). That's their
right (and indeed, according to the rules of capitalism that they live
by; their duty) - I just choose to exercise my right to do things
differenty.

Hey - we can at least gang up on the Windows MCE droids <grin>

David