Re: [OT] Anyone got one of the new TomTom's yet?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Anyone got one of the new TomTom's yet?
  • From: "Rob Dobson" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:56:00 -0000

I've got a copy of TomTom 5 PDA with the new bluetooth device. So
far my thoughts are:

- not very impressed with the POI warning, you have to use the
sounds forced on you by TomTom, you can't select your own. It also
only warns you once at a predefined distance - CheckPOInt is much
better here, it allows 2 warnings at a set amount of time before,
much better as this compensates for speed, it also allows you to set
your own sound - however there is no CheckPOInt for TomTom 5 PDA yet
- like the postcode feature, its very good - infact its better than
multimap, i put the same postcode into them and TomTom showed the
place i wanted to go to and multimap showed a street round the
corner where i didnt want to go
- i have a 1 month trial of the traffic feature and am still not
sure, last week it directed me into a 5 mile tail back on the M25,
once in that it then wanted to direct me into a 3 mile tail back on
the M4, i directed myself in teh end and got round the traffic. That
said it is only as good as the data provided and trafficnet on the
vauxhall website didnt show it either. It has also directed me
around traffic on the M40 so I'm still in 2 minds about it, i would
like to give it a bit more of a test, however i will probably by the
full subscription in the end, its not hugely expensive
- the route planning is much better, you can also plan walking,
cycling, shortest, fastest, avioding motorways and limited speed
routes

All in all i think TomTom 5 is a great improvment - i would just
like to see a version of CheckPOInt for it.

Rob