Re: Ocelot or Homeseer ?

  • Subject: Re: Ocelot or Homeseer ?
  • From: "alanmiddleton74" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:34:51 -0000

Not much to add beyond the points you've already listed but...

I can't comment specifically on homeseer but my reasoning for going to
an ocelot as opposed to a pc based solution was reliability. In the
year it ran I never had to reboot the ocelot... if only x10 was as
reliable ;) I'm hoping to get similar reliability once I wire it back
up again and add the leopard screen.

If you're less worried about reliability then I'd suggest a pc based
solution more user friendly for programming (the ocelots ladder logic
is powerful but takes a little thought some times) and infinitely more
upgradable both in terms of what it controls and how it's interfaced
(a web front end for the ocelot is something I'm looking into but it
remains elusive still trying to work out if siteplayer will do it).
Although there has been some talk of an ocelot zwave interface on the
discussion group ( http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
) this doesn't seem to have come together and as such an ocelot locks
you further into the x10 architecture.

Oh and to couple an ocelot with an xantech system you need an optical
coupler since they run at different voltages, more details on the
discussion forum above. You can use xantech ir emitters directly with
the ocelot so maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment.

As I'm getting more involved with HA again I'm also thinking of using
the ocelot just for core functionality and supplementing it with a pc
for nice to haves. As others have said maybe that's the best solution
if it sits within your budget?

HTH

Alan.