RE: US X10 motion detectors!

  • Subject: RE: US X10 motion detectors!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:14:18 +0100

> You'd need to get a US Transceiver Module and then modify it
> for 50Hz/230v mains. (If truth be told, probably a lot more
> hassle than it's worth and better just to stick with UK /
> European devices).

Not something I'd even suggest to anyone who I didn't know was absolutely
competant with the hot end of a soldering iron *AND* was fully aware of the
possible dangers involved with modifying circuitry that is connected to
mains voltages.

Unless you are really sure of what you are doing then I would suggest that
you avoid frying yourself (or torching your house) and stick to modules you
don't have to modify.

> It's worth mentioning that x10.co.uk are not the manufacturer
> of the motion sensors. They are a reseller who happens to
> have picked the domain name "x10.co.uk".

Nope - if you go to X10.com from the UK you are redirected to X10.co.uk.
X10.co.uk are directly linked with X10.com and X10.com (as part of a group
of companies) are still the main manufacturers and distributors of X10
devices.

> X10 is a protocol, and the devices are made by several
> different people.
> There _used_ to be a set of in-force patents about X10, which
> meant that one particular organisation held a
> "licence-from-us" monopoly, but they expired a few years
ago,
> which led to the prices falling dramatically, as those who've
> been buying since the late 90s will confirm :-)

Not sure I agree with the expiry of the X10 patent as being the reason for
X10 prices dropping...

...possibly more to do with X10.com deciding to sell direct to the UK
public
(via X10.co.uk) at cheaper prices (which also meant that they had to drop
their prices to the existing retailers) *AND* the expansion of home
automation as a passtime (greater numbers of sales) leading to the HA
retailers buying in in bigger numbers hence leading to drops in per-unit
costs.

IMO The expiry of the X10 patents really hasn't mattered as far as pushing
prices down (certainly as far as UK kit is concerned) because the cost of
producing new and exciting X10 modules is pretty damn high for the number
of
likely sales at the moment and so not many people are doing it. (Li at
Laser
has done his X10 Silent Gliss curtain controller which is pretty funky and
know he's working on a few others.)

Phil