Re: Asterisk / Skype integration

I looked into a couple of USB => RJ11 converters... the ones I saw only
converted line out and line in on the sound card to RJ11, and inserted
power from USB, and could thus be used by a phone. They were not able to
signal at all; the only thing they could do was make a telephone work
like a microphone.

Things may have changed, though; I'm not sure. But that's the way it was
a couple of months ago, and with the ones that I investigated.

Andrew M Stemen
lists@xxxxxxx
http://www.andrewmstemen.com

mark_harrison_uk2 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an existing Asterisk set up that works well - mix of
> conventional phones and ethernet phones.
>
> My problem, however, is that a few people with whom I deal have gone
> the Skype route. I don't want to have a religious argument about
> whether Skype is the "wrong way", but I am left with an
integration
> problem because it's such a closed system, and I _need_ to use it.
>
> The problem for me is, of course, that when I receive an analogue
> call, or a SIP call, the phones throughout the house ring... but when
> I receive a Skype call, the PC on my desk beeps... so unless I happen
> to be in my study, I don't realise that the call's coming in, let
> alone be able to answer it elsewhere in the house.
>
> It was suggested last night that various people on eBay sell a
"USB ->
> RJ11" connector intended for use with Skype.
>
> It struck me that I could leave a PC running Skype, plug in this
> connector, and wire it straight through, not to a handset, but to a
> spare port on Asterisk.
>
> I could then configure Asterisk to handle incoming calls on that port
>  by ringing throughout out the house, etc., etc.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> My key questions - does the USB -> RJ11 adaptor signal properly?
and