RE: VOIP options for house integration

  • Subject: RE: VOIP options for house integration
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:51:36 +0100

There are a couple of options for Skype that come to mind...

There is a DECT base station available that you can plug into both your
POTS line, and into a USB port on a PC running Skype...It then functions
as both a perfectly normal POTS phone, and also as a Skype phone, - and
rings when either kind of call comes in... - Of course this is still
dependent on a PC running Skype. Being DECT you can add other DECT
handsets to it, so you can have Skype (incoming at least) in multiple
locations. The handset that comes with this base has two "green"
dial
buttons, so when you dial an outgoing call, you can press either call
button, depending on which service you wish to use for the outgoing
call. - If you have added other DECT handsets to the base, I'm not sure
how (if) this could be accomplished from them.

The other possibility is to use Bluetooth... - you can get Bluetooth
access points that will provide Bluetooth over about a 100-foot range...
you can connect this to your PC running Skype, and use Bluetooth mobile
headsets as the audio device for Skype calls...

Of course these are both slightly "bodgy", since Skype isn't
really
designed for use in this kind of way...

HTH

Paul G.