RE: Sonos multi room

  • Subject: RE: Sonos multi room
  • From: "Chris Bond" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:46:47 -0000

I asked sonos a few questions and got a response forgot to post it to the
list:

Q: I currently have over the 30,000 mp3's what will happen if I purchase
the
device will it work with this? Also is there a plan to remove the 30,000
limitation....
A:Hi Chris-

In order to provide an efficient user experience when accessing the music
library each ZonePlayer stores a cache of id3 information for the entire
music collection.

We picked an arbitrary number of tracks (30,000 for v1) to index. Over time
we will review this limit.

By contrast, the Controller is a stateless device - as it displays the
contents of the ZonePlayer's cache. This allows the Sonos system to provide
an excellent user experience with large music libraries (the speed to
access
the library is the same if you have 3 or 30,000 tracks).

The workaround for having a library with 30k+ tracks is to separate your
music library into two subfolders, one containing the 30k tracks you would
like to index and the other containing the remaining tracks in your
collection. When you set up your shares, simply select the folder that
contains the 30k tracks you wish to index. Also, the Sonos DMS supports
online firmware updates which will allow us to increase the limit over time
using compression and/or other schemes.

Also, we currently have limited inventory arriving in January, so let me
know if you'd like me to place a pre-order for you. Dont' hesitate to call
or email if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,
Mike
(800) 680-2345

Q:Is there a web interface to control the zones as well as a software
interface?
A:Hi Chris-

We don't offer a web interface to control the Sonos Digital Music System,
but there is Desktop Controller Software that runs on your PC and is an
additional interface for controlling the system.

I noticed you're in the UK. We're currently only shipping to the US &
Canada. But we are working on bringing the product to Europe (and U.K.). I
have seen a lot of folks in the U.K. ask a friend to buy one in the U.S and
ship it over for them - especially since we have limited inventory for our
pre-orders. The product is already set-up with a user switchable AC110/240V
power supply and you'll just need to swap out the cord. Otherwise, I will
keep you posted when we have a more formalized plan to roll out
distribution
in U.K.

Best regards,
Mike
(800) 680-2345

Q:Doesnt it work with an existing wifi network? ie. will it interfere with
it?
A:Hi Chris-

The Sonosnet wireless mesh network will neither interfere with your
existing
network, or work with it. It actually creates it's own network that's very
specifically dedicated to distributing and controlling the music around the
home. However, you can join the network by plugging in via an ethernet
cable
to any one of the ports on the back of the ZonePlayer (just can't join
wirelessly.)

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Best regards,
Mike
(800) 680-2345