RE: EXCLUSIVE - New WebBrick Launched

  • Subject: RE: EXCLUSIVE - New WebBrick Launched
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:51:08 -0000

Rob Mouser <mailto:groups@xxxxxxx> scribbled on 26
January 2005
08:51:
>>> Ahhh, and in that lies the 'real' holy grail of HA.
>
> At the risk of sounding controversial I think the Holy Grail
> of HA are systems that are usable by "all". Not us techies,
> anoraks and geeks.
> It must be simple to implement, easy to use (By Anyone!) and
> 100% reliable. Does the web brick do this, no! Would a xPL or
> xAP enabled web brick do this, no!
> Would a packaged, boxed product with clear, concise, usable
> by all software, YES.
> We all slate Microsoft (and sometimes for good reason.) but
> who has just made HTPC a reality for almost everyone in their homes?
>
> /me climbs back into his hole and realises we'll get there
> one day :-) /me is just inpatient. :-p

Whilst I understand your point of view, I don't agree.  Yes, I agree
that HA systems should be intuitive and USABLE by all.  However, usable
and installable are two different things entirely.  Your average person
will not want to install a heating controller, new lighting circuit, or
replace a switch.  Your average person will want to have an easily used
light switch and heating system.  It's the extra features and usability
that HA gives that are important.

Cheers,
Andy
--