Latest message you have seen: RE: In wall touch panel heights to comply with building regs

Re: EXCLUSIVE - New WebBrick Launched

  • Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE - New WebBrick Launched
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:37:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...> wrote:
> It does include a lot of I/O for the price.
>
> The only unknown for me so far is the software side of things -
> how easy is it to create complex applications I wonder?

I've blimped the documentation, and it does have an interesting
collection of I/O, but as an I/O device the Phaedrus Netiom (a
networked version of the VIOM so familiar hereabouts) has 16 digi in,
4 analog in and 16 digi out (upgradable to relay out using the same
relay boards as the VIOM) plus a network driven slave RS232 port for
69UKP plus VAT.  What you lose on the Netiom is the (1-wire)
temperature sensor input, rotary encoder input, analogue outs, and
most importantly, the local intelligence state machine.

That is the big difference - the WebBrick has local intelligence
capability as well as network control.  It is an autonomous
controller.  The Netiom uses a PIC for everything, the WebBrick uses a
PIC for I/O and processing, and a SitePlayer telnet unit for network
comms.

If what you want to do fits within the capabilities of the onboard
state machine, the WebBrick looks a great autonomous solution.  If
not, then you either have to share the logic between the onboard state
machine and something external on (generally) a PC, or do all the
logic on a PC.  If you get as far as doing it all on the PC (in for a
penny, in for a pound, only one set of code to maintain) then as a
pure I/O device its a bit expensive.  If what you need is clever
processing on a PC, but simple backstop autonomous processing to save
your butt (or your house, or your fish, or your electricity bill) when
the PC crashes, the WebBrick may be close to the perfect solution.
Thats the role I see it best in.

Another very interesting HA option.  Yay.