RE: Buzzing relays? Anyone help?

  • Subject: RE: Buzzing relays? Anyone help?
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:27:15 -0000

Ah OK - X10 definitely causes the problem (as others mention too).

Paul.

Sent: 22 January 2005 15:27
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Buzzing relays? Anyone help?

Paul Gale wrote:

> I don't think you understood me :)

That's a stong possiblility :)

> Do the relays have double poles i.e. do they have a common, normally
> closed and normally open contacts?

Yes, they are a pair double post double throw relay, one for the central
heating and one for the hot water.
When the relays are not activated, the relays default to return control
to the (now reductant, but the mother-in-law understands the 1 hour
boost control) CH programmer in the kitchen. That way if anything goes
wrong, SWMBO can still use the CH/HW.

> Or do they only have 2 contacts rather than three (single pole, single
> throw)?

No, definitely DPDT.

> What I'm saying is, if they are like normal double pole single throw
> (I think?) relays, You can connect them up so that the 'buzzing'
> happens when the heating is on rather than off. The heating will work
> in exactly the same way as it does now.

Ah, so I would activate the X10 modules to switch OFF the heating??
But then it would buzz when the heating is on, better as its only on for
a few hours a day, but not really fixing the problem...

> Do you have a link to any on-line info for these?

Yup, bought from Maplins (I'm sorry, it was moment of weakness),
"Power
Relay 240VAC DPDT  Part No.  JG60Q"

> >From what you've said so far, I'm not convinced the buzzing comes
> from any form of 'leakage current' - sounds more like the buzzing
> you'd get when the coil is energised (this has nothing to do with
> whether the heating is on or off). Of course, I've not seen the
> relays, so this could all be wrong ;)

Ah, I had assumed it was the leakage current that was doing it, but that
promted me to check. If I remove the Appliance modules from the setup
and plug the relays direct to the 'trigger mains', there is no buzzing
at all. So I guess it must be the Appliance Module letting a but of
juice out (thinking about it I get the same effect on my electric
blanket - even when the appliance module is off, the indicator lamp on
the electric blankets controller glows...), just enough to buzz the
contactor arm...