Re: New to home automation - can you help, please?

  • Subject: Re: New to home automation - can you help, please?
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:56:27 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "martinpalmer8" <martinpalmer8@y...>
wrote:

> The reason I proposed Cat6 cable was because I'm speculating that
> audiovisual equipment may one day typically have a RJ45 connection
> instead of a co-ax connection. I'm guessing that Cat6 will give me a
> bit more bandwidth capability for this equipment. I admit that this
> argument is uninformed and Cat5e is probably fine for my current
> needs.

It's your choice. I do want to underline the fact that CAT6 is
frighteningly hard to install, and many domestic installers seem to be
unaware of this, installing as if it were CAT5e, and therefore not
gaining the benefits.

> I'm assuming that each camera will require a 12VDC supply right next
> to the camera location.

Yes, or close to. Having the PSU just inside the house and running the
12V cable through the wall is common and simply requires a long drill bit.

> If I configure a DVR to record only when activity is sensed at the
> camera, will I also need to run a twisted pair from the activity
> sensor back to the DVR? Or does the software in the DVR sense the
> activity?

Depends on the DVRs. The ones we use are available either without
motion detect, or with for an extra =A335ish (on the 4-channel version.)
The motion detect runs in software internally on the DVR.

> Does "shotgun cable" =3D one CT100 cable + one 12V power
supply cable
> stuck together?

Shotgun means one video cable and one 12V power cable, yes.

> I was hoping to avoid the use of handsets, preferring instead a
> wall-mounted speaker and keypad. One application might be to=20
> call all the occupants to dinner. It would be easier just to=20
> press a "call all" button and speak to do this, rather
than=20
> ring everyone.

That's something that would be hard to do on a phone system.

> What's your main objection to separate intercom systems?=20

Wall acne. It's very easy to end up with your walls covered in ugly
plastic boxes.

> I was
> considering Henry's Electronics P153F Intercom for my application.
> [http://www.henrys.co.uk/SECURITY/intercom.html]
Can you point me in
> the direction of a network-connected intercom that does the same
> thing? That would be brilliant!

Not off the top of my head. Personally, though, I'm a big fan of
Henry's. I would say, however, that if you're based in/around London
then do go into the shop to have a chat with them. Their people can
generally give advice on all their range, and tell you if there's
something better.

Regards,

Mark