Re: Generators - is this a good one?

John,
The battery life-time for different makes comes from experience.  Far=20
more common for me to change batteries in APC than Compaq/Powerware.=20=20
But APC is by far the more popular make!
I have a number of the Powerware UPSs with extra battery cabinets.=20=20
Also the slightly earlier model.
And APC Matrix long runtime UPSs.
Regards
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "John Andrews" <groups@j...> wrote:
> Andy
>=20
> As I have a APC UPS (ha!) you have given me a lot to think about.
>=20
> Cheers
>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20

discharged=20
BUT
> > APC then continually trickle charge their batteries whereas
> > Compaq/Powerware trickle charge then stop charging when the=20
batteries
> > are fully charged.
> > Cycling the batteries has little effect unless the
UPS/batteries=20
have
> > been left in storage for some time.
> >
> > RE: using UPSs with generators.  Most important point here is
that
> > there are "different" types of UPS technologies!!
> > True online double conversion UPS technology can cope with any
> > genny.  You could supply this type of UPS with a distorted square
> > wave with noise, harmonics and at 180Vac and it would still=20
supply a
> > perfect clean 230V AC sine-wave output.  They convert the AC=20
supply
> > to DC and then construct the AC output from scratch.  Hence
they=20
cost

<nigel@c...>=20
wrote:
> >> I would definitely agree that a UPS is your first line of=20
defence...

> >> Computers can suffer from sudden power cuts and no
electronics=20
like
> > Brown Outs... Using a 'Long Run' ups has many advantages, they
are
> > clean, they refuel when the power is restored, and don't make
much
> > noise... They can also log events to help identify the problem
you
> > had or even make a claim to your supplier. Batteries are the only
> > real issue. I think they talk about 5 - 6 year life in commercial
> > applications and this will be dependant on sophistication of UPS,
> > some cycle the batteries automatically to prolong life...
> >>
> >> Using UPSs with Gensets can be tricky... UPSs check the
quality=20
of
> > the mains supply and may not 'accept' generator power. I have=20
heard a
> > rule of thumb that you should have a genny with twice the KVA
of=20
your
> > UPS system using the remaining half to present a clean load. This
> > will help the generator produce stable power, UPS and switched=20
Mode
> > PSU can produce harmonics which can interfere with the generator
> > frequency control.
> >>
> >> I have 2 Compaq 3KVA UPSs running at 30-50% load, these run
quite
> > happily with the generator while pulling a total of 10 - 15
Amps=20
from
> > the Genset. Increasing the load has no effect either.
> >>
> >> I personally didn't want to spend money on a Genset for it
not to
> > start automatically every time, not a good one for WAF... Also=20
being
> > automatic it wouldn't mean I had to be at home to bring it into
> > service. Sods law states you will be out when it happens and the
> > Parents will be house sitting... Explaining how to fire up
genny=20
then
> > reboot the PCs would be a pain...
> >>
> >> Nigel
> >>
> >> PS you may want to research low power kettles, not much
help=20
with a
> > UPS, as it has a finite amount of stored power, but would mean
you
> > could boil a kettle with a 5KVA genny with the lights and TV etc.
> > on... (A normal kettle could pull as much as 3KVA).

TV,
> >> fridge, etc).  Obviously not electric heating, kettle,
cooker,

<groups@j...>=20
wrote:
> [...]
petrol=20