Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: [OT] not for the squimish

Re: [OT] Maxtor 1 Touch drives

I use a 300GB connected via firewire.

Initially had trouble setting it up under Win2k Server.

Using a PCI firewire card, I had interrupt sharing problems but a bit of
jiggery-pokery sorted that out (BIOS upgrades etc).

Then I had problems with Windoze only seeing 128GB of the drive. But a
quick
post and reply on UKHA_D sorted that too.

When it arrives, it's formatted as one FAT32 partition but I've reformatted
mine to be two NTFS partitions.

It actually lives in the neighbours house. I retrieve it about once a
month,
use second copy to synch with the data drives and then give it back to the
neighbour. It contains all the kids pictures and videos together with
business accounts data etc etc - Not the sort of thing you want to lose in
fire or have nicked by some little thieving toe-rag!!!

To be fair, the problems I experienced weren't of Maxtor's making and the
interrupt problem was highlighted by their FAQs.

All in all, it's in a robust aluminium case and for me, works an absolute
treat although I can't comment on reliability because mine's only on for
about an hour a month.

If I lost it I'd buy another.

HTH

Regards