HDTV on the Net

  • Subject: HDTV on the Net
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:56:58 -0000

Check out

http://altbinarieshdtv.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=2

Not sure how well these are supported by BT.

If you're serious about downloading any of this stuff you really need:

A premium Usenet service with a high retention rate. (I use
www.giganews.com). A normal (free) Usenet Service may not have sufficient
retention policy to ensure that all the bits of the posting are online by
the time you get to the last downloads.

A sub to a Usenet indexing service (I use www.newzbin.com) This allows you
to "see" what is available across all the Usenet binary groups.
What is
really nice is that you can download .nzb files once you've identified what
you want to dl from the binary newsgroup. The .nzb file is basically a list
of all the parts of the post which can be imported into a program such as
grabit (http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download)
. The actual downloading
of the parts from the binary newsgroups is managed by grabit. This is much
easier than using a traditional newsgroup reader as the sheer volume of
posts sometimes breaks these.

Grabit (as above)

QuickPar (http://www.quickpar.org.uk/) When
grabbing the posts make sure to
dl the .par files. Quickpar uses these to validate and repair\rebuild any
missing or damaged posts. You really don't want to dl 12GB of data to find
2
missing or damaged posts.

A decent broadband connection - goes without saying

Lots of disk space

Lots of patience

Cheers
Don