Re: [OT] Domain renewal

Neil Fuller wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My domain is currently administered by Freeola (read they send
> reminders and renew it for me) and hosted elsewhere.
>
> Two years ago, it cost me £9.99 to renew for two years. This time
> around, they want £35+  for two years or £69+ for 5 years.

Ouch. However, if it's administered by Freeola, why does the record for
fuller-family.com current say:

Admin Name........... GetDotted.com Domain Names

It has been known for dodgy companies to sent out bogus renewals
(usually a bit in advance of the real renewal)...

> So, if it's unreasonable, who should I use and if I use someone else,
> how do I go about registering a domain that is already registered with
> another administration company?

First and foremost, get the admin contact email address (and other
details) changed to point to you.

Then, AIUI, you go to your chosen hosting company/registrar/registration
service, and ask them to transfer the domain to you. This will result in
an email being sent to the admin address, which has to be responded to
for the transfer to happen. Reply to it saying you did request the
transfer and want to go through with it, and that should set the wheels
in motion.

If you choose a company that uses OpenSRS, you can then have direct
control over the domain name entry in the database.

HTH,

Jim