RE: Best method of drilling a wall plate?

  • Subject: RE: Best method of drilling a wall plate?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:51:22 -0000

Darren,

I do as others have suggested and drill a small pilot hole first. I then
use a sharp HSS drill to drill through from the front to the back at
fairly low speed. You need to use light but steady pressure and ensure
the faceplate is well clamped so it can't move. I get very minor
chipping around the immediate edge of the hole, but this is covered by
the surround of the fitted component.

Ideally you'd use a pillar drill (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=34370&ts=44695),
or a
drill stand (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18808&ts=44725)
for your
normal electric drill.

You could also try some different faceplates as they do vary in
thickness/material type.

HTH,

Tim H.