RE: It's Snowing!!!

  • Subject: RE: It's Snowing!!!
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:50:36 -0000

I was wondering just the same thing this morning, it's maybe the only
part of a weather station you can't automate, or can you ?

Webcam pointing at a graduated ruler ? (like the ones they use for
surveying the road or identifying the size of things in evidence
photographs)
Or point it at a series of rulers where each one is one inch (or
whatever) taller than the last. When you can see the ruler the snow is
deeper than "X".

With some fancy image recognition software I bet someone could work out
which rulers were covered and therefore how deep the snow was.

Avoiding drifting, I think, is a question of placement of the
"sensors"
coupled with using narrow cross section rulers.

HTH,

Tim H.