From: Phil Harris [mailto:phil@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 February 2005 01:59
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] What display

Ahh but the issue is getting a good quality image from a Media PC on it ...

...there aren't many "TV" sets that have VGA or DVI inputs.

Also Mike, I agree that when fed shitty, badly compressed sources then CRT
displays mask the faults in the signal much better but right now I'm
watching Terminator 3 off the HTPC through a 32" LCD display (at 1368
x 768
pixels) and there's detail there that just didn't exist running RGB or
s-video into the "old" CRT TV (which my inlaws have proclaimed
themselves
extremely happy with now). I haven't yet tried a Freeview card in the HTPC
but I'm lead to understand that the hike in quality over feeding a
conventional analogue display is quite something.

Add to that the perfect geometry of a pixel based display (you would not
believe just how much a CRT TV image distorts with varying image
brightness). Yes, I know given a really good PSU then that shouldn't happen
but it does, TV's are built cheap nowadays - there's no two ways about it -
and even the good sets (take a look at Loewe) aren't as good as a PC
monitor
for the ability to retain geometry or adjust geometry. Also I now find that
I notice the flicker on even 100Hz TVs but 50Hz TVs flicker very badly and
was always very *INSENSITIVE* to TV flicker previously.

Phil

.