Re: Sonos Review

  • Subject: Re: Sonos Review
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:44:03 -0000

There are several choices for WH audio systems - Russound, Opus,
Linn, etc. I think the (almost) unique feature(s) for the Sonos are:

1- A really cool remote (ipod style with colour)
2- No wiring (just 1 ethernet)or Pro installation costs.
3- Local playback devices (CD Player, etc.)
4- The system can easily be moved to your next house
5- Can be used without a pc (with network storage device)- big plus
for some folks.
6- Can be controlled from a pc
etc. etc.....

You can get most of the above with pc based systems with Pocket pc
remotes and wireless lan with somthing like NetRemote, Cinemar or
XLobby. But then you have to be fairly tech savvy to make it all
work.
The biggest issue, in my view/experience, is easy selection of music
from a large collection. This can only be achieved through a rich
(cover art, playlist selection, artist, album, etc.)but easy to
understand/operate user interface. Something that anyone can just
pick up and use without a training session.
The Sonos is the only system (at the this price range) that will
meet these requirments.
I use the Cinermar Lobby suite and have a fairly hefty investment in
touch-screen based tablets and pc's around the house. I already had
the Systemline audio distribution installed with Slinke/cd
changers/cdj before the Cinemar stuff was around and the PC music
server (MC10 / Musiclobby) just replaced the cd changers as the main
source.
But I am still tempted by the Sonos kit :-)

Keyvan