Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

RE: Do we all use more electricity ?

  • Subject: RE: Do we all use more electricity ?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:09:51 -0000

> From: Ake Hedman [mailto:akhe@xxxxxxx]
>
> How much is the cost for  a KW/h in the UK?

It varies widely depending on which supplier you use. I get my electricity
from British Gas.

Cant find a bill at the moment but there are three different rates

Daytime for first x units
Daytime for subsequent units
Nighttime (Economy 7)

A few years ago they allegedly dropped the standing charge but sneakily
worked out how many units the avarage family would easily use per quarter
and spread the standing charge over that by charging more for the first x
units.

At the time competition was introduced into the UK market I got an offer
from Eastern Electricity who were my supplier at the time saying they could
save me 20% on my Gas Bill. I also got an offer from British Gas to save me
20% on my electricity bill.

At the time I has a standing order for electricity of £50 per month. The
standing order for Gas was £11-50 per month and I always got a refund from
the Gas company of about £50 per year as even £11-50 was too much.

It didnt take a lot of brains to work out that 20% of £50 was a lot more
than 20% of £7-50 so I switched to British Gas. That was several years ago.

My electricity is now about £57 per month.
2 Bedroom terraced house.
All water heated by electricity.
Several PC's although none 24/7
AV kit.
Soldering iron (yes I know it doesnt use much but it is on for a LONG
time!)
although I suspect the 500W halogen flood shining heat and light on me
probably uses more!
Washing Machine/Tumble Drier/dishwasher all used daily
Also about 100W of low energy security lighting on whenever it is dark
(photocell - low tech but relable automation) which at the moment is about
16 hours per day.
Electric Towel Rail
Electric Oven/Grill, Gas hob

Keith