Latest message you have seen: Secuyou Wireless Security System Locks Your Doors and Windows with Press of a Button

Re: [OT] Audio Ripping

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Audio Ripping
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:53:49 -0000

I found the best way to do this, if you have or can obtain a few
networked pc's, is to setup a share on the largest drive (or where
you intend to keep the music files) and then have all the pc's rip
to that drive location. I did this with 5 pc's to rip my collection
(about 760 CD's ~ 8000 tracks).
You will find that user input is needed to manually ID some albums,
so it can't be "unattended" whatever method you use. Also hard to
see how you would sort out contention between ROM drives accessing
the ripping/tagging software. Ripping is CPU intensive/dependant so
it would be v. slow with a P3 800.
I use MC10 and APE (monkey's audio) lossless format, but that's just
personal preference. You can use any true lossless codec, wma, flac,
ogg, etc.
Using my "lossless" files, I have ripped 320K MP3 versions of the
tracks for use with ipod and DAR's. I found that MP3 VBR gives the
same audible quality while saving space on my 40gb ipod.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about lossless encoding and
playback quality... A true Lossless format, is just that, bit like
zip files, all the original data is reproduced; bit perfect, i.e the
same data which was in the wav file.
I use a digital (optical) out from the pc to an outboard DAC (MSB
tech) which is then fed to a high-end (Krell) pre/power amp with B&W
Nautilus(bi-amped)speakers. I can't tell the difference between the
ripped stuff and the original CD.

MC10 will transcode on-mass. So you can leave it to do that part
without you! Mine took about 3.5 days to transcode 6800 tracks on a
3.2Ghz P4, 1Gb RAM.

HTH

Keyvan