Latest message you have seen: Re: What did Santa Bring?

Re: RS232 over CAT5 pinouts

David Chapman wrote:

> I plan to move my APC UPS in to the garage but still want to monitor
> it via
> RS232. Using DB9 to RJ45 modular adaptors I can make this work over
> CAT5 but
> am unsure of pinouts. I know I could just connect pins 1 through 8 of
the
> RJ45 to pins 1 through 8 of the 9 pin D (no connection on pin 9) and
> as long
> as it is the same both ends it would work - but it needs to go via a
patch
> panel and I know there is a pinout scheme whereby if the RS232 was
plugged
> into a hub it would cause no damage - I think the trick is to make
> sure that
> the RS232 pins that carry voltage are mapped to pins that are unused
> by the
> hub - anyone know what this pinout scheme is, I haven't been able to
> Googlefind it.

There's this:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/faq/index.php?sid=7313&aktion=artikel&rubrik=003&id=12&lang=en

Which might provide some clues...

Of course, what you should have done is participated in the MSS-100 bulk
buy ;-)

(Sorry, none left)

Jim