From: David Chapman<mailto:david@xxxxxxx>
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx<mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 16 February 2005 09:59
Subject: [ukha_d] RS232 over CAT5 pinouts

I plan to move my APC UPS in to the garage but still want to monitor it via
RS232. Using DB9 to RJ45 modular adaptors I can make this work over CAT5
but
am unsure of pinouts. I know I could just connect pins 1 through 8 of the
RJ45 to pins 1 through 8 of the 9 pin D (no connection on pin 9) and as
long
as it is the same both ends it would work - but it needs to go via a patch
panel and I know there is a pinout scheme whereby if the RS232 was plugged
into a hub it would cause no damage - I think the trick is to make sure
that
the RS232 pins that carry voltage are mapped to pins that are unused by the
hub - anyone know what this pinout scheme is, I haven't been able to
Googlefind it.

David C