Ripping audio CD to MP3 - quality ?

  • Subject: Ripping audio CD to MP3 - quality ?
  • From: "Davey" <DB1001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:32:16 -0000

I recently discovered  that my wifes car stereo will play mp3 cds. Armed
with this exciting news I went home and ripped four albums from CD to MP3
using MS Media Player 10 at best quality ( 320Kbps ) and burned them to CDR
using nero...all seemed OK. .

Now ....
Although the stereo in the car starts to play the disc and it sees track1
(there are 4 albums in seperate folders).. I get no sound at all ... :-(

I then took the CD to work and slapped it in my laptop. Sound quality was
pants. It sounds like mid-range distortion. No amount of faffing around
with
the sound levels makes it any better.
I've played normal audio CD in the the lappy before and all was well. I
took
same MP3 CD and played it at home on same machine as it was created
on...again distorts...so common factor seems to be the ripping of the mp3s
on the disk.
I then downloaded an mp3 and even though this was at 192 Kbps it sounded
fine.

So should a car stereo work with mp3's at 320 Kbps  - or do they have to be
lower quality?
and any suggestions as to why  the mp3's I've ripped sound pants ?
Should I be using something else to rip the CD's ?

Ta.

Davey

Hardware -
Dell Dimension 8250 with on-board 2.1 audio. Samsung DVD ROM/CDR combo and
Lite-on Dual Layer DVD-+R. Windows XP with SP2. Media Player 10, Nero for
burning to DVD/CD