Re: Re: Measuring my electricity consumption.....

kw1816 wrote:

>More info including parts used are on Jon's site
>
>http://www.jon00.me.uk/
> Go to 'One wire' and 'Electricity Monitoring'.
>
>It amazes me what you can do with Homeseer and ASP pages !

After being inspired by Jon's site I bought 4 of these meters for about
£25 each IIRC.  I have 4 natural branches in the feed between the main
meter and the distribution boxes and in each one I have one of these
installed. There was a switch installed that isolated the mains too
which made it much easier.  The meters I bought also had the pulse
output in addition to the flashing led and they are of a high pulses/kw
output to increase sensitivity.  You can specify this on order.  These
just feed into a VIOM that counts the pulses , shortly this will be
exchanged for the xAP Netiom from Phadrus so I can get the information
directly (realtime) over Ethernet. All my secondary metering and the
main isolator switch is on my house board and nothing is mounted on the
board surrounding the inlet fuses and meter which I believe is classed
as the utility providors ownership.

Ironically about a year after doing this my meter became due for renewal
and I asked the guy if he could put in the same new type. He said that
these were normally only for new installs but he did it as a favour :-)
and another cup of coffee.  So I now have an overall meter as well.
Unfortunately his 'official'  type was flashing LED only, just like
Jon's so I need to add the circuitry to count this which I haven't done
yet,

It's now very confusing for the meter readers with 4 identical looking
meters but I am very pleased with the system, particularly when I get it
on to realtime Ethernet .  I am now looking at replacing the gas meter
with a pulsed output unit as a secondary meter too, I even dug out a
pulsed water meter on the internet. I was thinking it would be nice to
have an electric water valve that could be shut off if you had a leak
detected whilst away from home triggered by the pulse rate from the
water flow and knowing that the dish/clothes washer wasn't running.

Kevin