RE: [OT] : Setting up SP/DIF output.

  • Subject: RE: [OT] : Setting up SP/DIF output.
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:53:01 -0000

I think this is a tad more specific to Windows Media Player under MCE ...
As
I said originally, if I run PowerDVD standalone (i.e. Exit Media Centre and
pop back to Windows) then I can output SP/DIF no problem - in fact the only
output I have between the PC and the amp is SP/DIF, there is no line level
/
analogue audio feed there at all so the SP/DIF output is actually working.
It seems that WMP is defaulting to downmixing everything to Dolby Surround
rather than simply squirting the bitstream out for external decoding.

I have just pulled down the nVidia decoders (30 day trial) and they seem to
do exactly the same even though I have checked the "Enable SP/DIF
output for
DD and DTS audio" option so it seems more like it is WMP that is
simply
downmixing to Dolby Surround.

It's also possible that WMP is defaulting to the stereo audio track rather
than DTS or Dolby Digital but without a way to flip between audio tracks in
WMP its hard to tell whether that is what's going on ... I'm ripping a DVD
and keeping the mens intact so I can manually select an audio track to give
that a try.

Phil