RE: OT? network speeds

  • Subject: RE: OT? network speeds
  • From: "David Irwin" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:33:00 -0000

Sorry for the late response, but well, work and all that!! (some poor
bugger
has to ;-) )

In addition to the below, which covers most of what I have found, I would
like to add a few comments.

1. End users think everything is caused by a slow network.. I once had
someone say to me the reason their computer was loading word slowly was
because of a "slow network" - in reality it was caused by the DVD
they were
trying to encode to MPEG4 on their machine in the background! The moral
here
is check what they are doing and running on their local machine.

2. If it really is a network operation something from the network (opening
file from a network drive for example) do some tests;
Does 20Mb of small files take the same ammount of time as 1 20Mb
file?
Is it traffic from only one server / NAS device? (check
server/device load)
Is the speed the same from client -> server?
Is the speed the same from client -> client (on same switch / hub /
etc)

With regards to the DNS point below, I can highly recommend a WINS
server as well as a DNS server for local lookups - Even on WinXP machines I
have seen them sit doing broadcasts when there is not one even if they
should have checked DNS first!

If you have managed switches, an SNMP monitoring tool like PTRG on
the uplink ports to check load levels on the switches
(http://www.paessler.com/prtg)
may help show areas where the network is
heavily used - perhaps you have an errant computer flooding the network?

By this point I hope you have narrowed things down?

Dave