MediaNet - Common Server for Media Players

  • Subject: MediaNet - Common Server for Media Players
  • From: "Mark McCall" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:15:17 -0000

Submission by Andy Powell

Many moons ago Graham Howe flew many a mile to organise the shipping of
Dell
(DDAR) and Rio (the original) networked mp3 players from the USA to the UK
and beyond for the UKHA community. Since then I've been looking for a
replacement for the original server software which quite frankly sucked,
couldn't cope with large numbers of tracks and wouldn't run as a service.

Then along came XPL, a home automation protocol, and it appears almost
immediately Tony Tofts began work on XPLRioNet. The XPLRioNet software made
a difference, it allowed for greater library sizes and offered a number of
different interface methods such as a web interface, XPL commands. It was
wonderful. XPLRioNet then began to morph into XPLMediaNet because Tony was
adding support for other devices, eg Hauppague MVP, ExStreamer, Hauppuage
MVP and SliMP3. Somewhat supprisingly one day it seemed to all disappear
there was little or no mail on the dedicated yahoo group and I thought it
was gone forever. Then I noticed Tony's site had changed, and now, there
was
something called MediaNet...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article1646.html

M.