RE: Advice on behind LCD connections etc

All good points, and all perfectly true of course. However....

If I understand correctly, HDCP is a DRM mechanism that sits on top of the
HDMI protocol, and thus its *use* is optional... - content providers can,
if they choose, publish HD material that doesn't implement it... (how
likely that is to happen is of course a different matter!)  I may have
understood that incorrectly of course, but that's the impression that I
came away with having read a couple of articles on the web... - I'm
informed by *cough* a knowledgeable friend, that the porn industry is often
a champion of these kinds of policies, and are usually to be found at the
forefront of the technology curve and aren't as ridiculously paranoid about
DRM as the rest of the content industry...

Then there's the next-gen of gaming consoles which all are going to support
HD, and not all of them will use HDCP on the HD signal.. - the xbox 360 for
example doesn't use HDMI or (I believe) HDCP in any form, and provides its
HD output over component... Rumour has it that the first iteration of Sky's
HD digibox will also output HD over component and thus will be unrestrained
by HDCP... so I'm kinda hoping that I can get at least some HD content to
show on my nice new HD screen without having to bend over and and let the
copyright owners give it to me up the **se...

We shall, as they say, see....

Paul G.