Re: Home VPN - Hamachi

Quoting Shmern (shmern@xxxxxxx):

> > It may be a nice and easy system, but it's in the wrong - Hamachi
have
> > no right to be using an entire Class A address range that hasn't
been
> > assigned to them - and the usual provisio that this network isn't
> > exposed to the internet doesn't apply here - the hamachi vpn
connection
> > doesn't become your default route for all traffic, so your PC has
> > make a routing decision - all 5.*.*.* traffic gets pushed over
the
> > hamachi link - which makes you blind to that portion of the
internet
> > if/when IANA allocates it.
> >
> You are of course correct, 5.0.0.0 *may* in the future get allocated
for
> use, however I feel that is unlikely, but still possible.
>
> > if they had even picked a Class A above 64 - RFC1644 says that
those
> > will remain reserved indefinitely - 5. on the other hand is much
more
> > likely to come into play in the next few years as we continue to
chew
> > through the IPv4 space.
>
> Small typo there I think you meant RFC 1466, but yeah that does point
out
> 64.0.0.0 up to 127.0.0.0 will be reserved indefinately but it also
says

> While it is expected that no new assignments of Class A numbers will
take
> place in the near future,any organization petitioning the IR for a
Class A
> network number will be expected to provide a detailed technical
> justification documenting network size and structure. Class A
assignments
> are at the IANA's discretion.
> So IANA are not expecting to provide anymore Class A in the near
future,
> however as I said you are strictly correct, maybe Hamachi developers
should
> take this into consideration before coming out of beta. And request
from
> IANA the ability to use something between 64.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.0

Unfortunately it all looks rather different in the light of the fact
that significant allocations of 64.0.0.0 through 126.255.255.255
are already being made. I have two separate allocations from this
space myself. 80.0.0.0 through 91.255.255.255 are already assigned to
RIPE (who already appear to have allocated up to 88.x.y.z). 96.0.0.0
through 123.255.255.255 currently appear unused, but 124.0.0.0 through
126.255.255.255 is assigned to APNIC.

Given the current rate of allocation, I'd say it's pretty likely that
5.0.0.0 will not only get assigned, but that it won't be that far in
the future.

James