From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Steve Morgan
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 3:48 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] OT royalty free images?

Can't help with your specific request, but felt the need to point out the
following (being a photographer concerned with copyright)...

Royalty free does not equal free.

With royalty free images, you pay for a license to use the image but having
done so, can re-use that image as much as you like, subject to the general
terms of the license. That is, it's the distribution of the image that is
free, not acquiring the image in the first place:

- The buyer pays a one-off fee - they do not have to pay royalties to
contributors on a use-by-use basis.
- The buyer will not know who else is using the image.
- The buyer should check that the image has the appropriate releases before
using the image where a release is required.

The other type of paid-for image is licensed:

Non-exclusive License:

- The buyer pays a licence fee each time they use the image, but another
buyer can also purchase and use the image under the same licence.
- The buyer must specify, each time: intended use, media, territory and
duration.
- Pricing is based on intended use, media, duration and territory.

Exclusive License:

- The buyer pays a licence fee each time they use the image.
- The buyer obtains exclusive use of an image under the terms of the
licence: these terms may affect the use, media, territory and/or duration
in
which the image can by used by other buyers.
- Rights protection can be an advantage for high-profile projects such as
ad
campaigns and promotions.
- Pricing for this type of licence varies depending on the terms requested.

What you're looking for, I believe, are images that have been put in the
Public Domain (or else, royalty-free images that are offered at zero-cost,
which I suspect are few-and-far between).

Cheers,
Steve

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

"
on the web.

*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: