Latest message you have seen: Automated Home - Latest Forum Posts

Re: Electricity consumption

John Andrews wrote:
> AFAIK if the supply is low, then you would still use the same as the
> appliance would pull more amps.

Depends on the appliance.  A regulated DC power supply (ie. pretty much
all electronics) will.  Simple light bulbs, heaters[1] etc will just
give less output.  I can see this making a big difference in an
industrial or commercial context, not sure how much it will help in a
domestic setting, especially one with a lot of geek toys.

> And of cause the UPS would see it as a possible line fault and error
all
> the time - possibly.

Indeed.

Actually, I note my dual-conversion UPS outputs a clean 220V regardless
of input (mains is usually about 238V or so here)... shame I'm not using
it to power lighting :)

kim.

[1] Of course if they're thermostatically controlled, the duty cycle
will increase to compensate for the lower output.