Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Web n Walk T-Mobile

Re: [OT] List Member branches out! - ScreenCastsOnline.com

I just had a really quick squint and would not say anything but for the
fact this is aimed at the very inexperienced among us. I saw the word BLOGS
- I have heard this term but don't actually know what it means. My point is
- being aimed at people new to the web/mac/pc etc. is you have to be
careful with the language. Probably a little dictionary or link to such
would be good. I liked the explanation of a screencast though - more of the
same?

Words like Podcast, blogs, RSS feed etc. are not self explanatory to the
newbie.

Thanks

Ian

MacNewbie
<macnewbie@gmail.        To:       ukha_d@xxxxxxx
com>                     cc:       (bcc: Ian Bird/CV/Novartis)
Sent by:                 Subject:  [ukha_d] [OT] List Member branches out!
- ScreenCastsOnline.com
ukha_d@yahoogroup
s.com

22/08/2005 07:07
Please respond to
ukha_d

In case anyone was interested (and Mark suggested I posted to the
list)  I've just launched a new fledgling web service -
ScreenCastsOnline

This is not strictly a podcast but a screencast! Well I suppose it is
a podcast as it's an RSS feed with enclosures and it's on iTunes!

Checkout http://www.screencastsonline.com
or subscribe via iTunes at:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?
id=79117630

The basic premise is that it's a Website\RSS feed that contain
contains downloadable and streaming screencasts to give you tips and
hints in using many mac and web based applications. Windows users
are  welcome to access the screencasts as many of the demos will be
cross  platform or platform independent.

What is a screencast? - This is Quicktime movie containing a screen
capture and a spoken narration explaining what is happening on the
screen. The screencasts are encoded with the H264 Quicktime codec
included with QuickTime 7. Mac users with OS 10.4 (Tiger) and above
will already have this codec installed otherwise both Mac and PC
users can download free updates to Quicktime 7 from the Apple
website. I've purposefully made them at a high resolution so that
they are easy to view.

I've uploaded an introductory mp3 and screencast but the first
proper  screencast is number 3 which gives a simple demo on how to
set up an  RSS aggregator and subscribe to websites to enable
automated web  surfing. This first screencast is very much aimed at a
beginner level  (we really need to get the message out to non geeks)
so please check  it out but bare this in mind. I'll be posting
various levels of  screencasts covering all sorts of topics at
different levels.

Any feedback or comments would also be great either on the website
or  via email or via the list (providing they're not too damming)!

PS It only took 36 hours (and that was over the weekend) to get
registered on iTunes - I was expecting a lot longer

Cheers

Don