Latest message you have seen: Re: Pronto Codes for NAD T785 Amplifier

Re: X10/Z-Wave/C-Bus

  • Subject: Re: X10/Z-Wave/C-Bus
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:38:46 +0100

Brian Milton wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've got two questions! 1) Is there a difference between X10 and
Z-wave? If there is which is better?

Yes..  X-10 uses signalling superimposed on your mains wiring to control
devices, it is essentially a 1 way technology in the UK (although there
are some 2 way modules available). This leads to a little bit of
uncertainty as to wether a command you issues actually worked. It can be
100% , and is for a lot of people, or it can prove troublesome.  Z-Wave
commands devices by radio, it is a two way system and also you can use
intermediate devices as repeaters if needed due to range issues. Hence
there si a way of finding out if the device responded when commanded.
More varied X10 devices are available currently as Z-Wave is quite new.

>Also i've got one place I can use C-bus, the kitchen/Dinning room. I
have 3 circuts in this one area. What C-Bus equipment would I need to
control these circuts?

Depends a bit on 'how' you want to control it. ie #switches and where
these are located + automation etc...  and also the wattage of the
loads  You will minimally need either...

A C-Bus dimmer pack inc psu (4 channel or 8 channel*) + appropriate
C-Bus switches and and (maybe) an RS232 interace to program it although
you can use the C-Bus learn mode for simple setups
4 CH =2A/Ch and 8CH = 1A/CH - both about the same price bigger ones
available too

Or C-Bus switches with inbuilt dimmer channels - these come in two
channels per switch so you would need two switches.  Hopefully you can
divide the channels across the switches.  You can get (or will be able
to soon) both wired and radio linked versions of these,  again if you
have more than two switches currently you will need extra C-Bus
wireless/wired switches. If wireless you can also use the very nicely
designed remote too.  In a small setup like this then there are lower
cost options than C-Bus but if your intentions are to automate or expand
from here then it's a great investment to make.

Kevin