Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: PC Host and Email Server

Re: SATA vs EIDE Hard drives for a file server

  • Subject: Re: SATA vs EIDE Hard drives for a file server
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:05:55 -0000

Hi,=20
I found that very article late last night after my post! Looks good
just using XP but I guess there are some performance benefits to be
had using a PCI card to take the strain! Lots more reading to do but
looks like a good way to go about it.  especially as savastore are
selling 300gb sata drives for around =A399! inc vat, takes it down to
=A383 for me based here in the channel islands!!
Cheers for all the help and advice.
Noel

p.s. reccomendations for a suitable motherboard to look at? although
saying that if im using a pci card for the raid which will have the
sata sockets on it i can hopefully use the same VIA EPIA one as
reccomended in the jukebox server article!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "christopher purves"
<CHRIS_PURVES@M...> wrote:
>=20
> Jumping in - there was an excellent article I think on toms hardware
about=20
> doing raid 5 with software (win xp). He also has loads of articles
about=20
> raid with pci raid cards.
>=20
> I have always useds pci card based solutions. Its trivial to
configure=20
> these- attach drives to the card (this is where the small sata
cables help),=20
> select drives to use in raid card bios, select raid mode (say 5)
run=20
> fromat/partition command - takes hours usually. You are done.
>=20
> If you are buying a card and have some money go for 3-ware. Failing
that=20
> promise. Failiing that any old crap.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Chris
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >From: "noel_pilot" <HA@a...>
> >To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> >Subject: [ukha_d] Re: SATA vs EIDE Hard drives for a file server
> >Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:59:21 -0000
> >
> >Hi there,
> >thanks for your reply, could you point me towards a good
> >explanation/how to for Raid 5 so's I can read up a bit and learn a
bit
> >about the pros and cons and impacts etc etc
> >Thanks a lot,
> >Noel
> >
> >--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gerry Duprey <gerry@c...> wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > SATA would be my suggestion.
> > >
> > > The cables are smaller/thinner making it easier to work in
your case
> >and
> > > allowing more airflow around things.  SATA interfaces are
faster
> >than IDE
> > > (though they are both a bit limited by the drive hardware).
> > >
> > > I just recently (well, 6 months ago) built a 2TB video
server/HTPC
> >using 8
> > > 300GB SATA drives.   I am using RAID-5 on them because while
I could
> >re-rip
> > > my 230+ DVDs on it -- who wants to?  It took a month of
evenings to
> >do it.
> > >
> > > The drives have performed flawlessly.  This was my first
SATA
usage (I
> > > usually use SCSI for RAID, but the SCSI drives either
weren't this
> >large or
> > > were ungodly expensive).  Since then I've configured or
helped folks
> > > configure a number of systems using SATA and haven't run
into any
> >problems yet.
> > >
> > > And on the RAID issue, it really isn't that difficult or
problem
> >prone.  If
> > > you value your time at something over $30/hour, it may
really
start to
> > > suggest a way to protect the data (RAID-5, while not great
for
> >databases, is
> > > great for media (video, music, pictures) and allows the
least
amount of
> > > capacity loss to overhead.
> > >
> > > Gerry

for it
and the
small
enough will
whilst
movies

really. All our
expect a 5tb
stack
imagine with
ata (PATA
for a file server
similar to
the one in
states so
very nice
EIDE. (approx =A379!!=
)
either method.
seem to have seen
> >as many
drives for around
> >2Tb!

+repair+improvement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=
=3D76&.sig=3DTcERUCDPQcJLbg9mtvQGJQ>

mprovement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=
=3DplS9-eUUfaBXyLVFT87AJg>

&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=3Db5d547g=
Px7eFWNGqXQCl7A>

ovement&w2=3DComputer+stuff&w3=3DHigh&w4=3DImprovement&c=3D4&s=3D76&.sig=3D=
O6pw_oratTOwep2G_91fIQ>

<mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?subject=3DUnsubscribe>

Yahoo! Terms of