Latest message you have seen: Re: CBus power usage

Re: CBus / X10 Opinions please

  • Subject: Re: CBus / X10 Opinions please
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:40:23 +0000

Still at the playing stage with the PAC.

I bought it to do the most basic automation tasks - timers etc.

I wanted an embedded controller to guarentee certain things happened -
hence
high WAF.

e.g our stair lights not to come on before the toddlers are in bed = no
burn't fingers.
garden to get watered .... cbus relay controlling solenoids.

also allows much more complicated scenes if you want to do that.

The fun stuff I will do in mainlobby/homeseer etc.

Chris

>From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] CBus / X10 Opinions please
>Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:07:42 +0100
>
>Hi...
>
>christopher purves wrote:
>
> >Seriously - I have had X10 and CBUS and I don't really think there
is
>much
> >of a comparison. When X10 works it is fine but in my particular
case it
>was
> >flakey - the WAF was low.
> >

>Ditto, in my previous house X10 worked well but in my current house it
>doesn't so the move to C-Bus was forced upon me - but I'm delighted it
>was. I do still have some X10 here.
>
> >We have a complete house CBUS installation and it is designed to
be rock
> >solid - very high WAF factor.
> >
>C-Bus just works - and it works independently of a controller (eg
>HomeSeer) .which means that a light switch always turns the light ON
and
>timed devices come on always as expected,, even immediately after a
>power failure and if your PC crashes.
>
>One thing to bear in mind is that logic interaction (IF..THEN) and
Timed
>actions are not built into C-Bus and need a device like a 'timer
>controller' or the PAC....or interfacing to some software application
>like HomeGate, C-Lution, C-Schedule or HomeSeer (xAP Floorplan etc)..
>
> >  Interestingly, CBUS now has the PAC controler
> >which will do the homeseer/comfort/homevison role for you in a
rock solid
> >way. If you buy it instead of the normal cbus pc interface is only
a few
> >extra ££.
> >
> >Chris
> >
> >( Using CBUS / Mainlobby / Homeseer / Comfort / Russound)
> >

>Interesting.... - can you explain a little more about how you have
>interfaced the PAC to HomeSeer/MainLobby.  Do all the C-Bus groups
>appear as devices in HomeSeer and hence can be scripted and reflected
>into graphics (buttons etc) in MainLobby ?    I know the PAC is
>essentially a standalone programmable controller for C-Bus and maybe
>that's the bit you meant (a rock solid  embedded controller) but I'm
>sort of assuming you have MainLobby lighting screens that control
C-Bus.