Re: Fw: Smarthome.com - Eight Button X10 Keypads question

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Smarthome.com - Eight Button X10 Keypads question
  • From: "clax01011971" <UKHA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:19:33 -0000

It was the visual design I was more interested in rather than
mimicking the functionality. Thought it would be nice to be able to
see the state of all my X10 devices from any room and this light
switch seemed like a nice and easy way to do it.

Thanks for the clarification anyway.

Dave

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Harrison (Groups)" <mph@a...>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 15:32 +0000, clax01011971 wrote:
> > Now I'm a little confused. Why would I need an X10 radio
receiver?
> > I thought that these would just replace a normal light switch
and
> > then it would send X10 signals through the wiring? Do they send
> > radio signals as well?
>
> Dave,
>
> Your understanding is the same as mine. I suspect Gareth was
getting
> confused with the SS "Stick a Switch" which, while looking
very
similar
> visually, is an X-10 radio transmitter. Of course, it's always
possible
> that he is right and you and I are wrong :-)
>
> I believe that the product you're pointing at has been developed
> directly by Smarthome, the US's largest X10 reseller, who have now
built
> up their in-house hardware development team to about a dozen
people. I
> don't believe that they have launched ANY of their in-house
products in
> the UK (though Phil or Li may know different, guys?)
>
> The closest you could realistically come to that with UK/European
X-10
> products would probably to go with the TMA4 (on/off only) or TMD4
> (dimming also) micromodules, which are "half" of the
solution -
they are
> micromodules, ie devices that fit BEHIND a switch, to which you
attach
> momentary switches. The TMA4/TMD4 are X-10 senders - they don't
have any
> built in dimming, so you use them to control other modules - LM,
AM, LD,