RE: [OT] Treo 650

Yup, lots. Quick summary below, but let me know if you need anything
else.....

We use the Treo's with GoodLink (push email solution), so these views are
based on the fact that we use it as a phone and email device.....

Good:
- screen
- UI (maybe not quite a instantly usable as a Nokia, but better IMO than
Sony/Ericsson, Siemens and Moto.)
- keyboard (better than the XDA2s keyboard, almost as good as a Blackberry)
- speakerphone
- call quality
- email/GPRS connection management
- web navigation.  This was important to us, so the fact it's got a
touchscreen gives it a big advantage over other smartphones or BlackBerry.
- Bluetooth. It works with my Sony Ericsson car kit, whereas the Siemens
SK65 didn't, and the XDA wasn't entirely happy with it.  Like everything
Bluetooth, it's always a lottery as to whether it'll actually work!
- Build quality
- Camera - not mega-pixel, but fine if it's the sort of thing you use just
to capture something, as opposed to actually taking photo's, if you see
what
I mean.
- 3rd party apps.  there's lots of them if that's your thing, though the
consensus is the more stuff you load up, the more it crashes.

Average:
- Battery life (as with most GSM/PDA devices, it's not great.  2 days with
average calls and emails, but realistically it needs charging every day if
you have a lot of calls & emails).
- Bugs.  Better that the Treo600, but there's still the odd bug.  Generally
it has to be rebooted maybe every 5 or 6 days, which again was better than
my experience with the XDA
- Ringtones.  You can have whatever you want, but it's a fiddle, as it does
not natively playback mp3 ringtones, so you have to convert and store on a
memory card.  No big deal, but considering other bits of the phone happily
play mp3s and wavs, it's an annoyance.

Bad:
- Nothing really.

Like any convergence device, it's not perfect at everything, and in terms
or
rock-solid mobile phones, you'll not get close to the 6310i.  However, from
the devices we've trialled, the Treo came out on top.  Bear in mind that
not
all networks carry it, so if you're looking to get a subsidised unit, I
think you'll have to go via Orange.  We're using ours with O2, but we've
not
purchased the 650's via them.

Pete

_____