From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:01 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Using WindowsXP to Make RAID 5 Happen

Tell you more?

OK ...

... You *WILL* lose your data if you try RAID5 on firewire ... Simple as
that.

As Li (of Laser fame) will attest I have been plugging away at getting a
media server up and running using a rather silly number of firewire drives
(currently 20) originally with Windows and then with Linux.

I did try using RAID5 across the firewire drives but one of the things that
happen with firewire drives is that they disconnect and reconnect pretty
much at will and as soon as a drive disconnects then it makes the array
inconsistent and so it starts to rebuild. Then if another drive disconnects
whilst rebuiilding then it's bye-bye data. And I don't mean disconnect as
in
"unplug" - it seems that they software disconnect and reconnect
quite
frequently.

Thankfully what you will probably find is that simply formatting your
firewire-RAID5 array will be enough to send it into spasms and that should
convince you not to risk any data to it.

I have also tried using Linux and UnionFS (Li and his nephew have spent
many
many many frustrating hours trying to support my feeble efforts) to do the
same - and whilst UnionFS is a superb tool - Linux firewire support is
still
very very flaky and - really - should be considered unusable for anything
"serious". (I have been getting *MAJOR* corruption of the
firewire drives -
usually fixable by fsck but not always.)

Phil

841161.2920218/D=groups/S=1705041992:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123198418/A=2894633/R=0
/SIG=> 10pkrq6ru/*http://www.drugfree.org";>Drug
Abuse Can Be