Fw: KAT5 Mark2 - Now Available - New Distribution & Manufacturer!

  • Subject: Fw: KAT5 Mark2 - Now Available - New Distribution & Manufacturer!
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:00:46 +0100

Look forward to the documentary of designing, testing, and approval on
Discovery Home and Leisure soon :-)

G.

Gareth Cook
Tools and Process Architect
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 01/08/2005 13:54 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 13:35

.
Subject:
.
RE: [ukha_d] KAT5 Mark2 - Now Available - New Distribution &
Manufacturer!
.
Category:

Gerard,

A lack of response with 2 hours does not make a valid product
comparison :-)

As you know, I've been using the KAT5 boxes for several years. I'm also
familiar with the Muxlab stuff, and quite like it.

However, at the prices that Cyberselect are selling for the Muxlab kit,
I think that the KAT5 stuff represents rather good value.

For about 40% more, you get:

- IR
- SCART switching
- Active (amplified) design
- Termination / daisy chaining possibilities

If you need ANY of these things, or might do in the future, go for the
KAT5. For many applications, any _one_ of these would be a killer
feature - the fact that KAT5 gives you all four is a rather good combo.

For singledrop, I've never been convinced that an active design is
actually required, though I know Keith disagrees with me :-) for
multidrop, it's an absolute necessity.

The question, as ever, is "what would we pay in the UK?".

If you happen to be going to Montreal in the near future, then by all
means call Benoit, and see if you can get a set of the Muxlab kit for
Canadian prices - at THAT price, they might look reasonable value, but
by the time you've added UK import duties, and the Wholesaler's
commission (neither of which apply for KAT, since the manufacturer sells
straight to the retailer, and they're made in the UK), it's rather less
obvious a gap.

I'd like to add my welcome to Keith to the ranks of unashamed tycoons on
the list (and remind him of the meaning of the word "tycoon" as
per
James Chan's fabulous book - "Spare Room Tycoon.")

Congratulations to Keith and Li on getting this product up, approved,
and launched.

Regards,

Mark

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 10:44 +0100, Gerard McGovern wrote:
> i guess by the lack of response probably not.

&
Manufacturer!