Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

RE: Cheapest way to acheive RAID5 ?

  • Subject: RE: Cheapest way to acheive RAID5 ?
  • From: "aashram" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:08:31 +0100

I have setup a raid5 using slackware and 2 4bay firewire enclosure.
with software raid5 there is a performance hit. A considerable one.
Something to consider when using as a video server.
In fact in documentation I have read raid5 is not recommended
for large video files, they recommend raid 4.

Either how there is a performance hit. I am still working with mine
to get it working as it should.
I would partition 4 drives to about 100mb or so and play with creating
raids with different settings (chunk etc) and get used to the working
with it.

For linux I used mdadm which is a great little tool and alot more
reliable than raidtools.

I am just about to install slackware or debian on to my dell poweredge
and use that as the fileserver as my pentium III with 512mb ram is
struggling
with raid5 during some actions.