Latest message you have seen: Re: Turntable underneath a rack?!?!

RE: Cheapest way to acheive RAID5 ?

  • Subject: RE: Cheapest way to acheive RAID5 ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:00:44 +0100

Thanks Lee,

I was thinking about common mode failure for drives as I was typing - a
good point to raise.
As you've probably already guessed, I'm not an expert on the subject ;-)
but if a disk fails in a non RAID array do you have to rebuild the array
from scratch, or can you only replace the data which was lost? If it's a
full rebuild I guess that's where RAID pays off - you're back up and
running much quicker and with less interruptions in service.

I suppose the moral is that if you want to keep it, make sure you back
it up :-)

Cheers,

Tim.