Latest message you have seen: Re: (OT) On line photo albums

Re: Cheapest way to acheive RAID5 ?

Yes, but...

I would start slowly buying drives now from different suppliers...
...if you buy a job lot that all came from the same batch the likelihood
is that they could all fail at the same time (all made at the same time
from the same components and subjected to the same thumps and bumps?)...
Look back though the archive and you'll see a lot of horror stories
about multiple drive failure taking entire RAIDs out...

Depending on your paranoia, you can run RAID5 with 'hot standbys',
drives that are connected but unused and spun down, ready to jump in
when things start to go wrong...

It's also worth pointing out that DVDR's are only 15p each now, and are
probably the most indestructible way to back up movies...

Lee