Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: £99 Dell server - OS ?

aashram wrote:

> Has anyone managed to put a linux operating system on this yet ?
>
> The SATA interface is a problem

What chipset is it?
I'm kinda surprised 'cos it's supposed to be supported by RHEL.

In this kind of situation the easiest solution may be to use an ide
drive temporarily.
Do a basic install to that.
Build a custom kernel - see the kernel-ide lists for some hints - I
think I've seen a solution to this recently.
Then once all is well and the kernel sees the ide and sata drives you
just copy the data across, remove the ide drive and away you go.

I'm afraid mine's been packed away until after we move house.
Still, the good news is that the wife wants to do the install - little
does she know <grin>

David