Fw: Re: DIN Enclosure for CBus modules

  • Subject: Fw: Re: DIN Enclosure for CBus modules
  • From: "Nick" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:20:34 -0000

> I'm no electrical expert -
> so if the consensus is for
> MCB's on the load
> side, i'll do it !

I did, and as already noted on here, in the scheme of things, not a
significant cost.

> My only problem is no experience
> with MCB's/Consumer units - so
> if I do get a 2nd enclosure for
> the CBUS stuff, it's the dos
> and don'ts for getting the
> wiring right.

Sounds like the same as my setup - existing consumer unit and then
separate enclosures for the C-Bus stuff.

> I have 2x8 Channel Dimmers and
> 1x12 Channel Relay. So I'm
> assuming my plan is :

> 1. Install a 20Amp MCB in the
> main consumer unit (B type
> and 6KA rating if possible ?)

I have each of my C-Bus modules on a separate MCB in the consumer
unit.  Gives a bit more flexibility when isolating things.  Also
means that you don't lose all the lights at once when something goes
pop.

> 2. Earth and Neutral to enclosure.
> This is the bit I'm not sure on -
> how to extend these from the consumer
> unit correctly. I need some sort of
> "block" for each one ?

Mine are wired across from the consumer unit to the C-Bus enclosure
using 2.5mm Twin and Earth.  From the consumer unit end, it looks
just like any other connection - live goes to the MCB, earth and
neutral go to the respective bars.

> 3. Install MCB's for the LOAD side.
> So, I need 1Amp units ?

Yes (and whichever of B or C trips quickest - I can't remember).
Remember to cater for anything that has a significant switch on
surge - like I didn't.

> OR - I find a decent electrician !

That'll be Ben Addison then.

Nick