RE: Re: Mount a plasma on a metal stud plasterboard wall

  • Subject: RE: Re: Mount a plasma on a metal stud plasterboard wall
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:31:19 +0100

It may not be what you want to hear, but when I had a requirement to hang a
plasma on a suitable wall I ended up opening up the wall and reinforcing
the
vertical studs with timber and then installing ply across the full width of
the bracket to give something solid to hang the bracket/screen to. My worry
was not so much a local failing in the fixings but that the entire sheets
of
PB might come away from the studs and in this case the wall seemed to have
far to much flex for my liking so I was sceptical of the strength of the
stud top & bottom fixing. Therefore the only safe option was some major
surgery. Mind you the screen was a 50" model on a pull out and twist
articulated bracket so the forces acting on the fixings were much higher,
but better to be safe than sorry!!

As a cautionary note a friend recently returned home to find his plasma in
pieces on the living room floor with vertical tracks torn through the
plasterboard where his cables went up the wall after his bracket broke and
the plasma fell. Not only a ruined plasma & wall but also damaged
furniture
beneath where it landed - not good! It might be messy to open up the wall
reinforce but at least you know it will be safe long term!!

Neil B.